Social Media is undeniably a part of all our lives. There’s no getting around it. Even if you yourself do not have social media accounts, the people around you do. Your granddaughter is probably checking her Instagram right now. Your mom is posting about how proud she is of you on Facebook as we speak. Your friend just accepted a friend request from a mutual coworker. You are reading this on this type of social media right now.
So now I have some questions for you… Have you ever thought about how we all interact on social media? Did you ever think to have a plan for how you would act as you surfed the internet? I think if we all had structure to our interactions online, and really thought about how we would contribute, and what our beliefs are about social media and the internet, many things would change. We would see more personal updates from family, we would see more support from friends and family. We would connect more easily with those with whom we have not spoken to in a few years. Fewer hurtful words would be said. Going online would not be as much of a waste of time. You may not have concerns with some of these things, and that’s fine, but I have seen how I could improve my social media persona. I have also been asked to write about this subject for a class but I think it goes deeper than that.
Today, I want MY personal manifesto for social media to be known. It is rudimentary but I know it will help me think about how I interact with you and others online in public internet spaces. If you stop to take time and do something similar I believe you will definitely benefit for the better.
To start off…
On social media, I should…
- Be real- I don’t want to portray something that I am not. I want to share my victories and some sorrows.
- Positive- Even when I share content that is serious or negative, I want to point it to a higher ground, see the light in the darkness at some point.
- Fun- I am a funny person! I love making people laugh!
- Worry-Free- I promise not to over-advertise personal ventures or repost too often or spam out my feed. That’s a no-no
- A Way To Reach Out- I want to use my accounts to reach out to old friends better, people have not talked to in a few years.
I want to…
- Post at least Bi-Monthly
- Uplift others
- Make my content/posts useful
- Connect personally with friends and family better
- Make it personal- I want to put my heart into whatever I put out for others to see and read.
I have had a few years on social media. I know what I like to see and I know what I don’t. I don’t think my preferences are too different than others. Fewer ads, less reposted memes and gifs, more real updates from real people about real life, and good friends who are always still there for you. Be the kind of social media contributor that you like and see in others! Social media can have a huge impact especially since it is becoming ever more prevalent in our daily lives. Choose Wisely.
These are a few values I have thought about and believe will help guide my interactions and hope it has given you something to think about as well. Thanks for the read and see you soon!