Learning about Analytics this week was really great! I saw how powerful this tool can be. Not just for my site but also as a businessperson in general, if you know Analytics you can get certified and become a great asset wherever you go. I haven’t had too much traffic to my site so it was hard to comprehend exactly how valuable the program is but I know it’s very detailed, even more so than WordPress statistics which I monitor pretty often for my site here. Analytics was really easy to set up for Wix, my host site. I didn’t have to copy and paste and possibly mess up the code, I just typed in the short digit code from Analytics and it was ready to go. I also linked my Adwords account too, we will see how that goes when I get my ads going. All together it was a really great learning experience and I’m excited to learn more about it.
Learned a lot about using Google Adwords and creating advertisements to show on Google. Its such a. Simple thing to create but it is challenging to fit your whole company or product into 3 or 4 lines and make an impact on potential buyers! Every word has to be precise and clean and the phrases have to flow. Your condensed message really has to grab attention but also reflect what you are selling well enough for people to stay interested. Starting out, I found it the most easy to grab attention with a sale headline of 15% off. I couldn’t think of much else and I feel like people wouldn’t be interested in my new site unless I had something to offer and differentiate from already established sites and companies. As I publish more ads I will see what works and what doesn’t. It was cool to experiment with this important part of running an online business.
- Description: This flier is for a college graduate leadership conference through Vouant Communications. I created this flier for my Visual Media class
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills): First, I made four sketches on printer paper. They were of four different ideas and this one won out. Next, I improved that sketched to what I wanted to do with InDesign. I created the project with Adobe InDesign as a rough draft. Then I had two people critique my design with good feedback to make changes. I changed the alignment and the position of the title and a few other minor things. Finally I printed it off and shared it here on my design blog!
- Message: The message of this flier is that all graduating college seniors should attend this conference if they want a advantage in the business world by gaining leadership skills required in the workforce.
- Audience: Any graduating college seniors who are looking for a leg-up or want to jump start their professional career.
- Top Thing Learned: How to align text so that it looks visually appealing. Also learned how to change to grayscale and high quality resolution.
- Title Font Name & Category: Kalinga (Sans Serif) and Rockwell (Slab Serif).
- Copy Font Name & Category: Kalinga (Sans Serif)
- Links to images used in this project: https://130.commbyui.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/TextVouantCommFlyer.pdf
Here is the first advertisement I was able to have published. I won a contest among the many graphic design classes in high school, so my work was plastered all over the place at school, online, and in the community to advertise this dance production. The show is kind of a big deal in he Rocklin area. There are two high schools that are highly competitive in sports, including dance. Both schools have nationally recognized teams and many girls in high school are highly involved in dance instruction. I think that that area had an exceptionally high volume of dance participants, so it was cool that my poster was selected to represent our schools production. It was also interesting because the highest level dance team from the opposing nearby school also participated in our schools presentation as well, so it was a piece that tied two rival schools together. I’m really proud of this piece because when I first started conjuring up ideas for what the poster should look like, I was just messing around and playing with fun ideas. The fun idea seemed to work and when my instructor saw it, she immediately saw that it was above the others. Not to toot my own horn but it looked pretty awesome compared to the other creations. I was surprised to find that my fun idea was now posted on every blank wall around the campus and it was a different feeling that i liked being able to say “Hey, I made that!” when others commented on the poster. Overall, it was an interesting building experience!