Learning about Analytics this week was really great! I saw how powerful this tool can be. Not just for my site but also as a businessperson in general, if you know Analytics you can get certified and become a great asset wherever you go. I haven’t had too much traffic to my site so it was hard to comprehend exactly how valuable the program is but I know it’s very detailed, even more so than WordPress statistics which I monitor pretty often for my site here. Analytics was really easy to set up for Wix, my host site. I didn’t have to copy and paste and possibly mess up the code, I just typed in the short digit code from Analytics and it was ready to go. I also linked my Adwords account too, we will see how that goes when I get my ads going. All together it was a really great learning experience and I’m excited to learn more about it.
- Description: This is an informational pamphlet showcasing the beauty of the country Costa Rica
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills): Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign. I used InDesign to start my project. I set the markers for the fold and labelled each side. I then found pictures at high quality and placed those in. I organized my text and pictures with InDesign. I made the flower logo in Illustrator and placed that in the document. I used Photoshop to crop out the background of my clipped image, the pink tropical flower. I put it all together and edited. Printed on 12×18 and trimmed at AlphaGraphics Rexburg. I used a pen and a straight edge to make the fold clean.
- Message: Costa Rica is beautifully tropical and an adventurous travel destination
- Audience: Anyone looking for a place to travel, Anyone looking for adventure, People in their middle adulthood 30-55 years old
- Top Thing Learned: How to organize offset layout and how
- Color scheme and color names: Triadic color scheme using Lime, Indigo, and Brick
- Title Font Name & Category: High Tower Text- Oldstyle
- Copy Font Name & Category: Raavi- Sans Serif
- Word Count of copy: 277
- Thumbnails of Images used:
- Sources (Links to images on original websites)
- Description: This is a web page I made in Notepad++. I made it using HTML and CSS files. The CSS links to the HTML.
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills): I had previously created a draft HTML for an activity project. It was similar to this and I made it from scratch. I then created a CSS file and linked it to the HTML one. I cropped my logo in Photoshop and saved it as a PNG on the web page. I then wrote a description of how I designed my logo and the thought that went into it.
- Message: I want the page to look sleek and professional. I could only do so much with basic coding knowledge but I think it does a good job at sending the right message. Black is always clean and the crisp light bulb logo adds to it
- Audience: My audience is anyone looking for a graphic designer. It’s more to showcase how far I’ve come in my learning in such a short period of time. Any employers
- Top Thing Learned: The top thing I learned was how to link the images and the pages. i had it right once or twice, but changes in the code made me really familiar in what to do! I learned that I had to change the file names on the Notepad and in the file folder so that they would stay linked.
- Color scheme and color hex(s): I used a monochromatic scheme of purple. There are only two shades of purple and there is black, white, and grey. Colors used: Black #000000 White: #FFFFFF Grey: #414141 Purple: #90258d and #cc36c5
- Title Font Families & Category: Times New Roman, Serif
- Copy Font Families & Category: Verdana, Sans Serif
- Changes made to the CSS: I changed the colors of all the elements. I added in more detailed commentary. I changed the BYUI Comm blog to my own blog. I switched out the old logo for my own. I added a comments (3) in the code
- Word Count: 247
All of the listed links have to do with Photography and Visual Media. They are all helpful sites. Some are a little dated but are still high quality and great examples of nice photography.
- Some are students blogs and associations. These sites are helpful because they can give you, as a student, an example of what your work should look like and what is expected of you quality-wise
- These sites can give you ideas for future projects and assignments. Not plagiarism, but ideas to set you on the right path.
- The Photoshop World link can be a chance for you to sign up later in life to keep up on you Photoshop skills as technology moves on. Always be a lifelong learner.
- The Comm 300 blog can show you what to expect as you advance through the Visual Media classes and the Comm degree. There are many examples of great work on there and you can be prepared in knowing what will be asked of you in that class. The higher level classes get difficult and you need all the prep you can get!
- Deans Pics is a great goal to shoot for. If you are in a photo class, you can always set a goal to be featured on the page. This may take some work, but the dean always likes to reward fine work and feature it online. Its good to set goals and stick to them. Whether you are featured or not, it gives you a standard to rise to and hopefully improve your overall work.
I was looking forward to this class all week! Visual Communication was our topic with Caryn Esplin. My emphasis is Visual Communication and I soaked this class up We learned about some basics in Visual media such as always adding a photo to blog posts, generating original work for portfolios, keeping a portfolio, and keeping track of your Klout score. I am happy to say that my Klout score is 52, I signed up as soon as I got back from class and integrated all my social media accounts. Sister Esplin also talked about some of the changing classes in the future and I am excited about them! I have made my grad plan already so I don’t think the new classes would show up but I hope I can catch the changes. I am interested in Vector Graphics and Social Media Design.
Visual skills are in high demand. Visuals go into everything we do in the business world. We need them to catch attention, to explain, to advertise, to inform, to be pretty, to represent…everything! Visual media is something I am interested in because it is creative, in demand, and it has elements of psychology to it, and I like to make things that are useful and beautiful. Hopefully I’ll be able to become my best with Visual media and do all I have hoped for. I am really glad we could learn a lot more about this emphasis, it gave me an extra kick to be better and keep learning.
Yay Friday! Not really… Creating and saving my cover pages on Photoshop for Interpersonal was a NIGHTMARE! I had fun making the collages and arranging them etc. in PS, BUT my computer was super slow! Most of my time was wasted waiting for the stupid thing to save the files to a PDF so that I could take them to the print shop. I was afraid it wasn’t going to happen before class. While I was waiting for the files to save, I went and “got ready” for the day. I am sad to admit that I am kind of a mess today. No makeup, no shower, no fashion whatsoever. It really could be worse, but I aint feelin’ fly today. I came back to the computer to check on the saved files and it was just taking forever! Finally they saved, i put them on a flash drive and went to AlphaGraphics. I made the guy print them twice on accident. It didn’t take too long for the whole process but I was slightly annoyed that I had made the process go longer. I wanted the pages to be double sided, different sides. He printed four pages at first and then I was going to make him laminate them but the pages would have shifted in the process. So he printed again and the pages were a clean double side with no lamination issues. Except that there is a really thick hair and a black speck laminated into the pages Next I trimmed them and left quickly. I drove home to pick up a few school things and ran out the door. I was only 10 minutes late and waked in on the prayer, but no biggie… Turns out the teacher didn’t even want the pages today. She said to keep them so she wouldn’t ruin them in transit for grading and such. She asked “Who brought theirs today?” and everyone raised their hand. Wow, I could have gotten away with half finishing them. I’m glad I got them done though. They are finished and have no problems and I am good! The rest of class was about listening styles and barriers. Still trying to work on being a better listener, even though I feel like I haven’t had too many opportunities. Now I have the rest of the weekend to do some more homework! It just never ends…
These are in no way professional at all! Just what I was working on. They’re cute and funny but they’re just for me haha