Wow, cant believe its already the end of Wednesday! What is going on? Today… Got my laundry done and talked to my parents on the phone. I talked to my mom about my day yesterday and my facial and how it went well. She was surprised it was only 40$ when usually its like 90ish at home. Then we started talking about insurance and how expensive it has gotten with ObamaCare and how ridiculous it is! I am not the one who pays the bills but it just DOESN’T MAKE SENSE. All of it… Our costs have doubled and we have insane deductibles that will never be met. And we’re requires to have this expensive thing that does no good for us. It makes me frustrated that that’s what I’ll have to be dealing with soon. It makes me frustrated that this is what our country has become. After we were thoroughly frustrated together, I talked to my dad and we talked about my WordPress and school. He told me he bought the domain names of all our family members. So we own makenziholland.com now which is cool because I’ll get to use it one day and it’ll already be taken care of! They’re getting ready tog o to Hawaii tomorrow. Without me! I told him he should tote my face printed out around with them so I could be in all the family photos. I got my laundry and went to class. After class I went to the library to work on my brochure project. i just know it will be a pain in the but to refine and get just right this week so I’m mentally preparing for the coming frustrations. I got pretty far before I had to go to class again. After class, I scanned all my class notes to my email so I can print them off for my Portfolio. I checked my email and I got a nice email from Sister Scholes about my blog 🙂 I’m sure she sends one out to everyone since that’s how we submitted them but it was really genuine and I felt like I was doing something right, and that all my hard work into this blog was paying off! I walked home and ate the last of my tamales from last week. I was still starving so I made Chicken Carbonera. I made the noodles, baked chicken, sauce, and sprinkled bacon nits all over it. So good! The sauce was a little sweet since all I had was Vanilla Soy Milk, but its still not bad! I took the rest of the night finishing up on online assignments and working away at little assignments. Good productive day 🙂
- Description: This is a web page I made in Notepad++. I made it using HTML and CSS files. The CSS links to the HTML.
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills): I had previously created a draft HTML for an activity project. It was similar to this and I made it from scratch. I then created a CSS file and linked it to the HTML one. I cropped my logo in Photoshop and saved it as a PNG on the web page. I then wrote a description of how I designed my logo and the thought that went into it.
- Message: I want the page to look sleek and professional. I could only do so much with basic coding knowledge but I think it does a good job at sending the right message. Black is always clean and the crisp light bulb logo adds to it
- Audience: My audience is anyone looking for a graphic designer. It’s more to showcase how far I’ve come in my learning in such a short period of time. Any employers
- Top Thing Learned: The top thing I learned was how to link the images and the pages. i had it right once or twice, but changes in the code made me really familiar in what to do! I learned that I had to change the file names on the Notepad and in the file folder so that they would stay linked.
- Color scheme and color hex(s): I used a monochromatic scheme of purple. There are only two shades of purple and there is black, white, and grey. Colors used: Black #000000 White: #FFFFFF Grey: #414141 Purple: #90258d and #cc36c5
- Title Font Families & Category: Times New Roman, Serif
- Copy Font Families & Category: Verdana, Sans Serif
- Changes made to the CSS: I changed the colors of all the elements. I added in more detailed commentary. I changed the BYUI Comm blog to my own blog. I switched out the old logo for my own. I added a comments (3) in the code
- Word Count: 247
How many times have you gone into a job interview and been totally stumped by the questions they asked you or froze because you just didn’t know what to say? This website is all about helping you with these problems! Whether you’re inexperienced in interviewing for a job or just want to be prepared fr your next interview, this site knows all about interviews. http://www.jobinterviewquestions.org/
- This site can inform you about different layouts of interviews. Some are non-traditional, deviating from the one on one interview and here yo can read about different layouts so you are prepared or you can be thankful that your interview wont be like some of the other layouts.
- As a Communications major, you should be above average in communication so this site will help you be proficient in effectively presenting your best self to an interviewer
- Experience is needed in the Communications major so it is important to score internships and jobs before you get out of college and if you are a proficient interviewee, the odds are increased that you will get a job. Studying these questions and preparing answers can help you be your best in the interview and help you get the experience you need.
- Some interviewers are looking for questions from you at the end of an interview. Either they genuinely want to answer your questions or they really want to see you ask questions about the company, showing that you did your research before coming in. This site has a section on what to ask interviewers. It can greatly improve your appearance as a possible employee when you know what to ask
- This site an also help you if you are trying to switch jobs. It can educate you on how to quit the right way and what to say to other employers about why you left. This can be really helpful when you are trying to move to a better job and don’t want to come across as unreliable to your next employer.
Writing is a part of all business and most people have Microsoft Word to type up documents. Here’s the homepage for Microsoft Word www.office.microsoft.com
This website is helpful to a Comm major for the following reasons:
- If there’s technical difficulties with Word, contacts info is all over the place on this site for support and help
- This page can help you if you need Word across different platforms such as laptop, phone, tablet, and other operating systems. This can help make Word accessible anywhere.
- If you want to try new things out in Word, there are training videos to help you get started and learn something new.
- Templates are downloadable on here, for different types of documents you may need to create.
- Writing is important and unavoidable. Every Comm or Business major will write up something that will be seen by co workers and employers so it is important to make polished and professional documents. This is done with Word and the help of this website as reference.
All Business/Comm majors should be visit this page for great resources located on the Business homepage
Things that this page can do for you
- This page has a list of societies that are available within the College of Business and Communication. Societies can add resume prevalence, added experience in the emphasis it applies to, and has opportunities to get to know others in your major which is very helpful in networking, school assignments, and as outside resources for your work.
- The homepage has lists of competitions that you can participate in to add to your experience and trophy case. There are also resources about dining etiquette, which is very helpful when trying to network and get to know others. It helps to present your most polished self!
- Hours and contact info for the ADC for Business and Communication are posted. This is helpful in planning your classes and answering any odd questions about your major or any other educational technicalities.
- You can go to Europe! There are links that can help you go to Europe as an educational trip. This is a great opportunity to get outside of Rexburg and get some outside experience and memories. As well as a quality education in another land 🙂
- You can also find the College of Business and Communication on LinkedIn. Their link is on their contact page. Receiving updates from the college is helpful in making connections and seeing their updates on internships and other scholarly articles about getting a job and other fine tips in the job and college world.
This Grad Planner link is a great source for any BYU-I student. The Grad Planner is not required but it is a great tool for your education and planning while here at BYU-Idaho
- This resource helps you see ahead of time and plan out your years here at the university. It helps you get an overview of what classes you have coming and which ones you need to take. This is really helpful in planning hard classes, managing Foundations classes, working in some fun electives, and planning practicums and internships.
- This resource is online and can be changed at anytime. It is highly accessible within the range of Silverlight. Nothing is set in stone and you can adjust your plan as you take classes and change throughout your college career.
- The Grad Planner helps you see the possibilities in class combinations and other comm classes you may not have seen while looking at your certain emphasis.
- Grad plan comes with free advisers! You can check the error codes to guide your progress while planning and also submit your plan to an adviser at your certain majors Academic Discovery Center and ask them questions about your major and classes
- Comm majors are flexible and there are always new classes being added so it is important to incorporate some of the new classes and changes into the future and this can be done with the Grad Planner