- Description: This is an informational pamphlet showcasing the beauty of the country Costa Rica
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills): Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign. I used InDesign to start my project. I set the markers for the fold and labelled each side. I then found pictures at high quality and placed those in. I organized my text and pictures with InDesign. I made the flower logo in Illustrator and placed that in the document. I used Photoshop to crop out the background of my clipped image, the pink tropical flower. I put it all together and edited. Printed on 12×18 and trimmed at AlphaGraphics Rexburg. I used a pen and a straight edge to make the fold clean.
- Message: Costa Rica is beautifully tropical and an adventurous travel destination
- Audience: Anyone looking for a place to travel, Anyone looking for adventure, People in their middle adulthood 30-55 years old
- Top Thing Learned: How to organize offset layout and how
- Color scheme and color names: Triadic color scheme using Lime, Indigo, and Brick
- Title Font Name & Category: High Tower Text- Oldstyle
- Copy Font Name & Category: Raavi- Sans Serif
- Word Count of copy: 277
- Thumbnails of Images used:
- Sources (Links to images on original websites)
All of the listed links have to do with Photography and Visual Media. They are all helpful sites. Some are a little dated but are still high quality and great examples of nice photography.
- Some are students blogs and associations. These sites are helpful because they can give you, as a student, an example of what your work should look like and what is expected of you quality-wise
- These sites can give you ideas for future projects and assignments. Not plagiarism, but ideas to set you on the right path.
- The Photoshop World link can be a chance for you to sign up later in life to keep up on you Photoshop skills as technology moves on. Always be a lifelong learner.
- The Comm 300 blog can show you what to expect as you advance through the Visual Media classes and the Comm degree. There are many examples of great work on there and you can be prepared in knowing what will be asked of you in that class. The higher level classes get difficult and you need all the prep you can get!
- Deans Pics is a great goal to shoot for. If you are in a photo class, you can always set a goal to be featured on the page. This may take some work, but the dean always likes to reward fine work and feature it online. Its good to set goals and stick to them. Whether you are featured or not, it gives you a standard to rise to and hopefully improve your overall work.
Yay Friday! Not really… Creating and saving my cover pages on Photoshop for Interpersonal was a NIGHTMARE! I had fun making the collages and arranging them etc. in PS, BUT my computer was super slow! Most of my time was wasted waiting for the stupid thing to save the files to a PDF so that I could take them to the print shop. I was afraid it wasn’t going to happen before class. While I was waiting for the files to save, I went and “got ready” for the day. I am sad to admit that I am kind of a mess today. No makeup, no shower, no fashion whatsoever. It really could be worse, but I aint feelin’ fly today. I came back to the computer to check on the saved files and it was just taking forever! Finally they saved, i put them on a flash drive and went to AlphaGraphics. I made the guy print them twice on accident. It didn’t take too long for the whole process but I was slightly annoyed that I had made the process go longer. I wanted the pages to be double sided, different sides. He printed four pages at first and then I was going to make him laminate them but the pages would have shifted in the process. So he printed again and the pages were a clean double side with no lamination issues. Except that there is a really thick hair and a black speck laminated into the pages Next I trimmed them and left quickly. I drove home to pick up a few school things and ran out the door. I was only 10 minutes late and waked in on the prayer, but no biggie… Turns out the teacher didn’t even want the pages today. She said to keep them so she wouldn’t ruin them in transit for grading and such. She asked “Who brought theirs today?” and everyone raised their hand. Wow, I could have gotten away with half finishing them. I’m glad I got them done though. They are finished and have no problems and I am good! The rest of class was about listening styles and barriers. Still trying to work on being a better listener, even though I feel like I haven’t had too many opportunities. Now I have the rest of the weekend to do some more homework! It just never ends…
These are in no way professional at all! Just what I was working on. They’re cute and funny but they’re just for me haha
Here is the first advertisement I was able to have published. I won a contest among the many graphic design classes in high school, so my work was plastered all over the place at school, online, and in the community to advertise this dance production. The show is kind of a big deal in he Rocklin area. There are two high schools that are highly competitive in sports, including dance. Both schools have nationally recognized teams and many girls in high school are highly involved in dance instruction. I think that that area had an exceptionally high volume of dance participants, so it was cool that my poster was selected to represent our schools production. It was also interesting because the highest level dance team from the opposing nearby school also participated in our schools presentation as well, so it was a piece that tied two rival schools together. I’m really proud of this piece because when I first started conjuring up ideas for what the poster should look like, I was just messing around and playing with fun ideas. The fun idea seemed to work and when my instructor saw it, she immediately saw that it was above the others. Not to toot my own horn but it looked pretty awesome compared to the other creations. I was surprised to find that my fun idea was now posted on every blank wall around the campus and it was a different feeling that i liked being able to say “Hey, I made that!” when others commented on the poster. Overall, it was an interesting building experience!
So the featured image above is one of the first projects I finished in high school. It was the first project I was satisfied with, one looking like it wasn’t made by a monkey on a computer! This is a Type Montage and the white space image in the center is supposed to be the outline of a longboard. All the words surrounding it are words that I thought related to riding longboards! It is one of my favorite activities to do when the weather is not horrible. Guess that’s not an option here in Idaho! All I have to say about this piece is that it was relatively easy i.e. typing words, adjusting font size, changing colors, and organizing words. The only hard part was that it was very time consuming! Overall though, I enjoy working with Photoshop when I know what I’m doing. Otherwise it’s frustrating. Anyway, like I said, I was satisfied with this project even thought it’s not exactly high quality or professional by any means. By posting this I hope that you and I both will be able to see the progression I’m making as I take more classes to improve my design skills.
Happy Designing friends!